The days are getting hotter, make sure you are getting your drink on!
I’m sure we all get reminded one way or another to stay hydrated this summer. But why is hydration so important? Staying hydrated with water helps you stay healthy and energized. It also:
· Controls your body temperature
· Aids digestion
· Carries nutrients around your body
· Cushions organs and joints
· Gets rid of waste
· Keeps your bowels regular
It is also important to remember that water is not the only form of fluid that helps aid in hydration. However, you should always choose water as your main fluid throughout the day. Other fluids like tea, juice, milk, and coffee count towards your daily intake. Keep in mind that it is best to try and avoid soft drinks and limit caffeinated drinks to 3 cups per day. Coffee, tea, and soda act as diuretics which can further deplete the body of fluid. Consider adding fruits and vegetables with high water content to your diet. These include cabbage, spinach, squash, watermelon, citrus, cantaloupe and strawberries. Here are some extra tips to help keep you hydrated this summer:
· Drink a glass of water upon waking each morning and before bed
· Carry a container of water with you throughout the day
· Drink water before each meal and a fluid during your meal
· Add fruit to your water to make it taste more refreshing
· Don’t ignore thirst! If you’re thirsty, then drink some fluids!
So, what is the recommended daily fluid intake? Well that depends on a lot of different factors including age, gender, and activity level. It’s crucial that intake increases as the weather gets hotter and as activity increases! General rule of thumb: 3 Liters (12 cups) for men and 2.2 Liters (9 cups) for women.
Dehydration is no joke. If you start feeling and noticing signs of less frequent urination, dark-colored urine, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, or headaches, that is your body begging for water! Don’t ignore the thirst this summer.